Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Writing Instincts - Do You Know When to Change Direction?

Once you find a writing groove it's easy to settle in and enjoy it. You know the topic, enjoy writing about it, and have lots to say. Related book ideas may pop into your mind. Even writing about an uncomfortable topic can turn into a comfortable groove.

For more than five years I've been writing about loss and grief. My writing comes from the experience of losing four loved ones, including my daughter, in 2007. In a sense, grief was a pivot in my life, and most of my actions revolved around it.

Though writing about grief was painful, I felt compelled to do it. This writing kept me on the recovery path and I think the books I've written will help many mourners. But life changes constantly and one day I had an idea for a new book, a totally different book than the ones I had been writing. The idea was exciting and I researched the topic for months.

Before I knew it, I had a thick file of articles, a stack of books, and enough information to write an outline. Additional research led to three outline revisions and there may be more. When paragraphs started to appear in my mind I knew it was time to start writing. I never put the first sentence on paper, however, because my life changed suddenly.

I received an email from someone who wanted help with a book idea. Her idea sounded solid to me, so my reply included suggestions for breaking into publishing. Two weeks later, we met face-to-face and the more we talked, the more excited we became. "How much would you charge to proofread the book and make corrections?" she asked.

"I'll do it for $250," I replied.

"You would do it for that?" she asked. "I thought you would charge thousands."

"No, I'm not going to charge thousands," I assured her. Then she asked how much I would charge for totally rewriting the book. I thought for a moment and answered, "If I'm going to do all that work I may as well be the second author." At that moment, I said a mental goodbye to the book I had been working on and hello to the new book.

She was thrilled with my offer and we agreed I would be her second author. We meet weekly when our schedules mesh. Deciding to go in a different direction was easy for me because of decades of writing experience and because I know myself. I know I can't write two books at once.

What kinds of work am I doing? First, I'm proofreading and making corrections. Second, I'm working on word flow, revising confusing sections, and adding new information. Third, I'm formatting the book for submission to a publisher. Fourth, I'm acting as a mentor and advisor.

As fabulous as this book idea is, I won't make lots of money on it, and that's okay. Continuing to write is more important to me and it may be important to you. Knowing when to change directions is a skill that comes with experience. In his poem, "The Road Not Taken," Robert Frost writes about two diverging roads and how he took the less traveled one, a decision"that has made all the difference."

This new book is a different road for me and time will tell if it makes a difference in my career.

Copyright 2010 by Harriet Hodgson

http://www.harriethodgson.com/

Harriet Hodgson has been an independent journalist for 30+ years. Her 24th book, "Smiling Through Your Tears: Anticipating Grief," written with Lois Krahn, MD is available from Amazon.

Centering Corporation has published her 26th book, "Writing to Recover: The Journey from Loss and Grief to a New Life" and a companion journal with 100 writing jump-starts. The company is also publishing her latest book, "The Spiritual Woman: Quotes to Refresh and Sustain Your Soul," which will be available soon.

Another new book from Hodgson, "101 Affirmations to Ease Your Grief Journey: Words of Comfort, Words of Hope," is available from Amazon. Please visit her website and learn more about this busy author and grandma.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Harriet_Hodgson

Harriet Hodgson - EzineArticles Expert Author

View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment