Monday, November 15, 2010

Creative Writing Character Development - Where is Your Character From?

If you write a good deal of fiction, and you are a creative writer, then you know that character development is one of the most important things. When you are describing your character you need to explain to the reader where the character is from, and you must make it believable. This is difficult if you've never been to the area, or if you don't know the history of the area. That's why you need to do your research, and when I say research and not talking about Wikipedia, I'm talking about real research.

After retirement, I spent seven years going to every single city in the United States, and I finally visited at least every city in the US with a population of 10,000 or greater. In doing so I got to know the cities, towns, and metro-areas. I sat in coffee shops, I talked to people, I went to museums, and as I did so I would look up on the Internet is much as I could about the town, mostly due my own curiosity. Imagine my dismay reading a novel, when I see mistakes in it, and that happens way too often - I believe it is due to laziness of writers not to do their homework properly.

If you're going to choose a set of characters that are from various locations, but you've never been to those regions then you really need to stop and do your research, because believe it or not especially in this day and age of the Internet, your novel will spider under the names of the cities where your characters are from, because that's how search engines work. That means there will be individuals from those areas where you say your main characters are from, who actually live there.

This is because they will be searching something on the Internet, and the results will have the name of their city in their search, and they will find your work, or novel. Perhaps, they will buy your digital book. If you make a mistake about the history of their city you have immediately lost the reader, and they probably won't buy another one of your novels, because the one they read last became unbelievable and because you don't know what you're talking about. Where your characters are from is very important in creative writing, and you need to get the story straight. Please consider all this.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment