Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Making of An Expert Author

It is easy enough to think that we have no need for instructions for our lives, only to later realize that we have messed up. God did not make mistakes when He instructed His children to follow instructions. One thing is to get instruction; another is to follow it through. Those who do not follow instructions do not get anywhere.

I have always dreamed to be a writer. It started when I was a very young boy living in my little village. I was reprimanded thrice by my elder ones simply because I had a peep into their books. They considered me too junior to read such books. Out of curiosity, I had wondered how someone could write such volumes and bound them into a book. I then developed interest to find out what they were actually writing about. I have stumbled into chemical and mathematical equations which I couldn't understand at the mean time. As time went on, we began to learn such things in the school.

I have spent so much time admiring dictionaries. I do not pick interests in smaller volumes but big books. The dictionary I was given then was the "Michael West Dictionary" but my interest was in the "Advanced Learners' Dictionaries". When I pick up other books to read, I admire the wisdom of the writers so much that I vowed to be a writer one day. After my graduation from High School, I wanted to publish the drama book I wrote while in school. I wrote to so many publishing houses both within and outside Nigeria. I was told that they cannot sponsor me 100%, but can only contribute 20% as a way of encouraging me. One company gave me a litany of authors who funded their works 100%, stating that it will benefit me if only I could do as they did.

However, I decided to put all my works in standard condition pending the time I will have the money for their publication. The manuscripts were then sent to different people to proof-read. I received so many corrections and advice from them. I was told that it is generally better to use short words or phrases first in a series, as in "arts and letters" and "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness". This is because, according to these people, it just sounds better that way. I quickly developed an interest in accepting editorial changes especially when they can point one to a rule to follow. As those books kept coming back to me with series of comments and corrections to be effected, I developed cold feet and was almost discouraged.

I got encouragement to revisit my works when I ran into an author in an Art Exhibition Conference, somewhere in Isu Imo State. When he saw my manuscripts he was alarmed and quickly invited me to his office. I met with him in the morning of that day, and he took his time to put me through some of the ambiguous remarks from my former proof-readers. I discovered that in anything I am doing, it is very necessary to try to create an idea quite different from the ones in circulation. I did just that, and guess what? I made it on the list of writers that came for the conference!

This has been the guiding principle: looking inward to create an idea. Almost all the writers you can think of do not replicate ideas, they try to create theirs. When an idea is fresh, it sells. It is also to be noted that inspiration to write quality articles can be received from the happenings around you. The behaviour of the birds, the characters of people, activities in the school, market, hospital, Church, etc. The conducive nature or otherwise of certain government policies can form a topic of a good writing. The characters of the Bible and so on, equally have some knowledge to give. When you are hunting for topics to develop, you don't certain things no matter how unimpressive.

This is how I came up. I learned by adhering to instructions and listening to my heart. I will not say I have reached the peak of my career yet, but I am actually not a work-over. The LORD has always been on my side and my prayer for you is that you will not only become an expert author, but a CELEBRITY!


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment